A Review of Mean-Field Homogenization for Effective Physical Properties
of Particle-Reinforced Composites
Sangryun Lee*, Seunghwa
* Department of Mechanical Engineering, KAIST
평균장 균질화를 이용한 입자 강화 복합재의 유효 물성치 예측 연구
1. Obradovic, J., Boria, S., and Belingardi, G., “Lightweight Design and Crash Analysis of Composite Frontal Impact Energy Absorbing Structures,” Composite Structures, Vol. 94, No. 2, 2012, pp. 423-430.
2. Immarigeon, J-P., Holt, R.T., Koul, A.K., Zhao, L., Wallace, W., and Beddoes, J.C., “Lightweight Materials for Aircraft Applications,” Materials Characterization, Vol. 35, No. 1, 1995, pp. 41-67.
3. Imai, T., Sawa, F., Nakano, T., Shimizu, T., Kozako, M., and Tanaka, T., “Effects of Nano- and Micro-filler Mixture on Electrical Insulation Properties of Epoxy Based Composites,” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2006, pp. 319-326.
4. Zheng, Y., Kim, C., Wang, G., Wei, P., and Jiang, P., “Epoxy/nano-silica Composites: Curing Kinetics, Glass Transition Tempera-tures, Dielectric, and Thermal-mechanical Performances,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 111, No. 2, 2009, pp. 917-927.
5. Pan, Y., Igora, L., and Pelegri, A.A., “Numerical Generation of a Random Chopped Fiber Composite RVE and Its Elastic Properties,” Composite Science and Technology, Vol. 68, No. 13, 2008, pp. 2792-2798.
6. Wang, H.W., Zhou, H.W., Peng, R.D., and Mishnaevsky, L., “Nanoreinforced Polymer Composites: 3D FEM Modeling with Effec-tive Interface Concept,” Composite Science and Technology, Vol. 71, No. 7, 2011, pp. 980-988.
7. Doghri, I., and Ouaar, A., “Homogenization of Two-phase Elasto-plastic Composite Materials and Structures: Study of Tangent Op-erators, Cyclic Plasticity and Numerical Algorithms,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 40, No. 7, 2003, pp. 1681-1712.
8. Lee, S., Kim, Y., Lee, J., and Ryu, S., “Applicability of the Interface Spring Model for Micromechanical Analyses with Interfacial Im-perfections to Predict the Modified Exterior Eshelby Tensor and Effective Modulus,” Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, Vol. 24, No. 9, 2019, pp. 2944-2960.
9. Lee, S., Lee, J., Ryu, B., and Ryu, S., “A Micromechanics-based Analytical Solution for the Effective Thermal Conductivity of Com-posites with Orthotropic Matrices and Interfacial Thermal Resistance,” Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2018, 7266.
10. Mortazavi, B., Baniassadi, M., Bardon, J., and Ahzi, S., “Modeling of Two-phase Random Composite Materials by Finite Element, Mori-Tanaka and Strong Contrast Methods,” Composite Part B: Engineering, Vol. 45, No. 1, 2013, pp. 1117-1125.
11. Giordano, S., and Palla, P.L., “Dielectric behavior of anisotropic inhomogeneities: interior and exterior Eshelby tensors,” Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, Vol. 41, No. 41, 2008, 415205.
12. Bednarcyk, B.A., Aboudi, J., and Arnold, S.M., “Micromechanics of Composite Materials Governed by Vector Constitutive Laws,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 110-111, 2017, pp. 137-151.
13. Lee, S., Jung, J., and Ryu, S., “Micromechanics-based Prediction of the Effective Properties of Piezoelectric Composite Having Inter-facial Imperfections,” Composite Structures, Vol. 240, 2020, 112076.
14. Odegard, G.M., “Constitutive Modeling of Piezoelectric Polymer Composites,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 52, No. 18, 2004, pp. 5315-5330.
15. Huang, J.H., and Kuo, W-S., “Micromechanics Determination of the Effective Properties of Piezoelectric Composites Containing Spatially Oriented Short Fibers,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 44, No. 12, 1996, pp. 4889-4898.
16. Martínez-Ayuso, G., Friswell, M.I., Adhikari, S., Khodaparast, H.H., and Berger, H., “Homogenization of Porous Piezoelectric Mate-rials,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 113-114, 2017, pp. 218-229.
17. Jung, J., Lee, S., Ryu, B., and Ryu, S., “Investigation of Effective Thermoelectric Properties of Composite with Interfacial Resistance Using Micromechanics-based Homogenisation,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 144, 2019, 118620.
18. Xu, Y., and Yagi, K., “Automatic FEM Model Generation for Evaluating Thermal Conductivity of Composite with Random Materi-als Arrangement,” Computational Materials Science, Vol. 30, No. 3-4, 2004, pp. 242-250.
19. Lee, D., and Suh, N., Axiomatic Design and Fabrication of Composite Structures Applications in Robots, Machine Tools, and Auto-mobiles, NY Oxford University Press., New York, USA, 2005.
20. Kim, Y., Kim, Y., Lee, T-I., Kim, T-S., and Ryu, S., “An Extended Analytic Model for the Elastic Properties of Platelet-staggered Composites and Its Application to 3D Printed Structures,” Composite Structures, Vol. 189, 2018, pp. 27-36.
21. Mura, T., Micromechanics of Defects in Solids, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, 1982.
22. Benveniste, Y., “A New Approach to the Application of Mori-Tanaka’s Theory in Composite Materials,” Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 6, No. 2, 1987, pp. 147-157.
23. Hill, R., “A Self-consistent Mechanics of Composite Materials,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1965, pp. 213-222.
24. Castañeda, P.P., and Tiberio, E., “A Second-order Homogenization Method in Finite Elasticity and Applications to Black-filled Elas-tomers,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 48, No. 6-7, 2000, pp. 1389-1411.
25. Wu, L., Noels, L., Adam, L., and Doghri, I., “A Combined Incremental-secant Mean-field Homogenization Scheme with Per-phase Residual Strains for Elasto-plastic Composites,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 51, 2013, pp. 80-102.
26. Castañeda, P.P., “The Effective Mechanical Properties of Nonlinear Isotropic Composites,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 39, No. 1, 1991, pp. 45-71.
27. Eshelby, J.D., “The Determination of the Elastic Field of an Ellipsoidal Inclusion, and Related Problems,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 241, No. 1226, 1957, pp. 376-396.
28. Jun, T-S., and Korsunsky, A.M., “Evaluation of Residual Stresses and Strains Using the Eigenstrain Reconstruction Method,” Inter-national Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 47, No. 13, 2010, pp. 1678-1686.
29. Chiu, Y.P., “On the Stress Field due to Initial Strains in a Cuboid Surrounded by an Infinite Elastic Space,” Journal of Applied Me-chanics, Vol. 44, No. 4, 1977, pp. 587-590.
30. Dvorak, G.J., and Benveniste, Y., “On Transformation Strain and Uniform Fields In Multiphase Elastic Media,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 437, No. 1900, 1992, pp. 291-310.
31. Lee, S., Lee, J., and Ryu, S., “Modified Eshelby Tensor for an Anisotropic Matrix with Interfacial Damage,” Mathematics and Me-chanics of Solids, Vol. 24, No. 6, 2019, pp. 1749-1762.
32. Lee, S., and Ryu, S., “Theoretical Study of the Effective Modulus of a Composite Considering the Orientation Distribution of the Fillers and the Interfacial Damage,” European Journal of Mechanics - A Solids, Vol. 72, 2018, pp. 79-87.
33. Ryu, S., Lee, S., Jung, J., Lee, J., and Kim, Y., “Micromechanics-based Homogenization of the Effective Physical Properties of Com-posites with an Anisotropic Matrix and Interfacial Imperfections,” Frontiers in Materials, Vol. 6, No. 21, 2019, pp. 1-17.
34. Dunn, M.L., and Taya, M., “Micromechanics Predictions of the Effective Electroelastic Moduli of Piezoelectric Composites,” Inter-national Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 30, No. 2, 1993, pp. 161-175.
35. Fu, H., and Cohen, R.E., “Polarization Rotation Mechanism for Ultrahigh Electromechanical Response in Single-crystal Piezoelec-trics,” Nature, No. 403, No. 6767, 2000, pp. 281-283.
36. Zhao, L-D., Lo, S-H., Zhang, Y., Sun, H., Tan, G., Uher, C., Wolverton, C., Dravid, V.P., and Kanatzidis, M.G., “Ultralow Thermal Conductivity and High Thermoelectric Figure of Merit in SnSe Crystals,” Nature, No. 508, No. 7496, 2014, pp. 373-377.
37. Barnett, D.M., and Lothe, J., “Dislocation and Line Charges in Anisotropic Piezoelectric Insulators,” Physics Status Solidi (b), Vol. 67, No. 1, 1975, pp. 105-111.
38. Duschlbauer, D., Böhm, H.J., and Pettermann, H.E., “Computational Simulation of Composites Reinforced by Planar Random Fi-bers: Homogenization and Localization by Unit Cell and Mean Field Approaches,” Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 40, No. 24, 2006, pp. 2217-2234.
Copyright ⓒ The Korean Society for Composite Materials. All rights reserved.
Gangnam Mirae Tower, Suite 601, 174 Saimdang-ro, Seocho-gu, Seoul 06627, South Korea
Tel: +82-2-598-1550 Fax: +82-2-598-1557 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org